Monday, June 1, 2015

Your Digital Life: Your phone is not invited to…

Steven Petrow helps you navigate the digital world in the real world.

I recently hosted a dinner party and one of my guests had his phone on the table the entire time. He never checked it, but it was looming as if a call might interrupt us at any moment. I didn't say anything, but I'm wondering if I could have asked him to put it away without seeming rude myself.

~H.M., Rehoboth Beach, Del.

I'm sure you were afraid of what happens all too often – dinner guests checking their phones throughout the evening, texting under the table or hearing the dreaded Marimba iPhone ring stop all conversation dead in its tracks. Leaving your phone sitting out on the dinner table is like wearing a sign that says "Yes, I'm here, but I may get a better offer at any moment."

Frankly, I'd urge you to ask your guests to refrain from using their phones – or having them lurk – at the table. I'd say it with as much good grace ("May I take that for you so we're not all distracted by it?") or humor ("I didn't set a place for Siri, so let's put her away now") as possible. Either way, your message will be clear: Electronic devices do not have a seat at your table.

To guests: Even without such an admonition, please keep your smartphones in a pocket or purse – not on the table like a package of TNT ready to detonate. Yes, you have my permission to slip out to the restroom from time to time and check your phone. (And if you're a doctor on call or otherwise expecting a truly important phone call, tell your hosts ahead of time; I'm sure they'll be happy to waive the usual dinnertime rule).

As a last resort, I love this new dinnertime ritual: Ask your guests to put their smartphones in the center of the table; the guest who reaches for his or hers first has to stay and do the dishes (or, in a restaurant, pay the bill). Believe me this works!

Read more of Steven Petrow's Your Digital Life columns on usaweekend.com. Submit your question below. You can also follow Steven on Twitter @StevenPe! trow and like him on Facebook at facebook.com/stevenpetrow.

More Weekend Recommendations Tennis' most prestigious event - officially called The Champisonships, Wimbledon but most commonly referred to as simply "Wimbledon" - is... 10 best Wimbledon champions Read More About Celebrate the arrival of summer with one of these fine, cool concoctions.1. Tommy's Margarita.The healthier Tommy's margarita is made wit... 10 best summer cocktails Read More About Robert Powell offers advice on all matters of personal finance. His column appears Tuesdays and Thursdays at usaweekend.com.I owe $6,000 ... Personal Finance: Simple tips to pay off credit card Read More About A few weeks ago, we asked you to submit your funniest pet photos. You delivered so many that we couldn't fit them all in one gallery. Thi... Your Take: Pets on wheels Read More About Steven Petrow helps you navigate the digital world in the real world:I think my boss is upset that I haven't accepted his friend request ... Your Digital Life: Should I friend my boss on Facebook? Read More About Your road trip is only as good as the vehicle you choose. Here are 10 great vehicles for exploring the American landscape. (Prices MSRP.)... 10 best cars for a summer road trip Read More About JOIN THE CONVERSATIONReady for Your Dream Vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment